Thanks Very Much!!!
Well, this Thanksgiving was a bit of a flop for me. I had grand plans of repeating last year’s success, and hosting a fantastic Thanksgiving Dinner on the fourth Thursday of November for the Cat Club, followed by an exploratory pilgrimage the next day. Last year was a huge success, with 17 people seated around our pool table. We managed to procure the last giant turkey from the Sultan Centre, and before we ate everybody gave thanks for something.
This year was a flop. Eleven guests came, andalthough all said they had a fun evening, I don’t believe them!! Because I lost control early on, and then gave up. I had everything nicely planned:
- We were to start at 7.30 (the guests had all been told 7pm) with one hand of Shanghai (that’s a card game), at which stage I would turn on the oven to heat the ready cooked ham and roast the potatoes.
- Then we would eat our starter (a delicious salmon pate) when the latecomers had arrived! At that stage I was going to put on the vegetables and heat the sausages.
- After two more hands we would give thanks and eat our yummy dinner.
- We would finish the evening with the last two hands of cards.
It didn’t happen like that! [Deleted 374 words of maoning drivel – moved to The Secret Diary!] But we did play cards, eat dinner and have a good time!
So, is there anything to be thankful for? Let’s give it a go:
- I am thankful for a marvellous husband.
- I am thankful for the friends that I do have.
- I am thankful for the marvels of modern science enabling us to do fertility treatment, and try for kids despite that stupid friggin vasectomy.
- I am thankful for my health.
- I am thankful for the variety of fresh food available to me.
- I am thankful for my catamaran… I love sailing my beachcat!
- I am thankful for our yacht, on which we don’t sail much now, but on which we will hopefully circumnavigate the world starting next year.
- I am thankful for swimsuits that make my blubber look like curves.
- I am thankful for good music.
- I am thankful for online education, meaning I can study for my Masters degree even though I seem to be in bed half the time!
- I am thankful for Kitty, who warms my legs when it gets cold here.
- I am thankful for Squirt who gives us hours of entertainment!
- I am thankful for Daafsha, who is the sweetest dog ever.
- I am thankful for my step-daughter who gave me a great few days in Leeds last month!
- I am thankful for my step-son who is quite a cool person too.
- I am thankful for my step-sister and nieces who are just really warm, loving people.
- I am thankful for both my mums, who helped me become who I am.
- I am thankful for the radiators which keep me warm when it gets cold.
- I am thankful for Rama who cultivates our ‘garden’, making it a natural a place as a paved yard can be!
- I am thankful for Manika who does my laundry and makes me tea every morning. Except weekends, but never mind.
- I am thankful for the laptop table which has a fan so I can work on my bed without the laptop crashing.
I reckon the Americans might be onto something here. I am already feeling so much better, I think I will delete most of that miserable frigging moaning up top… [done]. I think it IS a good idea to allocate a day every year to give thanks. And who cares whether it’s a big party, or a small one? And hey, if people don’t want to explore new shores with us on the catamarans, then who cares? Marc and I will be exploring plenty new ourselves when we do leave on our yacht… and I can’t wait!
Oh, and thank you to all of you who come to read my blog. This is the best kept diary I have ever managed, and that’s thanks to you!