It was, for sure, about time to ditch our old Jim Buoys and buy new ones. I knew that for sure, cos when I brought them both home (thinking I could at least use fabric from one to patch the other) even Marc said they were beyond hope, and we should buy new ones.
But, of course there are none to be had in Kuwait. We know this because Christine and John went looking, planning to buy one for Marc’s birthday! Ever resourceful, Christine instead ordered one from Amazon; and since it wouldn’t be here on time, she printed out an image and superimposed the name of our boat on it. Fortunately, they didn’t order the decals, since the name was spelt wrong… it is quite a hard one!
So, last night, as Marc was watching a movie, I got to work with a sharpie. I printed out gigantic letters for the name in Edwardian Script (the same as we have the name on the boat) using outline font so as not to waste excessive ink; and then I cut them out in duplicate. This is how I used to make the titles for displays when teaching. Anyway, I then got to work with a UHU glue stick, trying my best to get the balance right – which is not easy with letters this flamboyant. When I was almost happy, I drew an outline with a thin sharpie, removed the stencils, and coloured in the outline.
I gotta say, even though I am sure it looks lopsided, folks on the whole are impressed, so I’m fairly happy with a job quite well done. Now I just ahve to do the other one, then I can get them down to the boat ready for when we start racing again next week. (Eek, briefing at 8.30 in the morning!)